Sunday, April 9, 2023

B is for Birthday

It's my first year as principal and I ALMOST made the mistake of taking the day off for my birthday! Then I remembered that one of my friends told me years ago that as principal she used to clear her calendar and spend all day in classrooms with students. So, I decided to give it a try.

I just have to say that I made a great decision and I can honestly say that it might truly be one of the best days of my life! When I walked in, our social committee had decorated my room with a large banner, balloons and streamers and my room was full of balloons and flowers. They gave me birthday necklaces to wear and a birthday crown. 

My vice principal made an announcement that it was my birthday and then all the real fun began! I started to get cards and presents from students. It's always endearing when a student gives you something that belongs to them, like their pencil or eraser. Everywhere I went, I was greeted with students giving me individual and group hugs and shouting, "Happy Birthday!" I spent the large part of the day calling up kinder and first grade students to read their guided reading books to that they had read in their small group reading lesson.

I walked the campus and there were a few times that I felt so overwhelmed with joy and emotion that I had tears streaming down my face! Students convinced me that next year we will have a birthday celebration for 20 minutes for everyone who has birthdays that month. We will just need to figure out what to do for the students who have birthdays in the summer. I feel that it really improves climate and culture when we celebrate as a community. 

If you haven't decided to stay at school and be with students on your birthday, I highly recommend it. And if you aren't a principal but are a parent, I recommend sending a little card or well wish to your child's principal. We have a really tough job and will take all the joy that we can get for those special moments. 

5 comments:

  1. Visiting from A to Z

    Sounds as though your colleagues and students made the day very special

    Anne
    Australia
    https://anneyoungau.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day you had - and your students, too. It is as good to give as to receive and your colleagues and students had the pleasure of giving.

    Visiting from: http://jabblog-jabblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful day and what a nice idea to spread it out to the students.

    https://findingeliza.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't know it was an option to take the day off. How cool! I'm a tech teacher and they pretty much never let me leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. usually administrators are on a year round schedule and can have a non work day on certain days. Sometimes I have to work in the summer etc and I need to take a day off during the year etc!

      Delete

D is for Disappointment

Before I became a school principal, I was a coach and worked as a manager at the district office level for quite a bit of time. I was partly...