Saturday, April 30, 2022

New Beginnings

It's been years that I have talked about applying for principal and I haven't done it for one reason or another. But...I finally did it and so far it's been quite the adventure! I haven't even been appointed yet but I have learned so much about myself through the application and interview process so I wanted to have a place-this blog!- to document my journey so that one day I can look back on the ways in which I have grown. And hopefully what I put out into the world will help another person! 

Last month I went through four interviews and although I haven't been appointed, I am fairly certain that I will be. I can't explain why I feel that way because it's just an instinct that I have. I should find out any day though! 

I came upon this journey from a somewhat unconventional path that some people don't necessarily approve of. I have been a manager for over a decade at the district level in the area of curriculum and instruction and although I am mainly in curriculum and instruction I also tend to be called upon to be the jack of all trades. I have never been a vice principal and that is what some people seem to have an issue with.  Since the beginning of this journey so many people told me that I wouldn't make it to the final round of principal interviews because I haven't had that experience. But I just decided to try to trust in myself,  give it a try and see where I end up.

I've spent many years coaching school site leaders and sometimes even helping them solve some problems that they have difficulty with. Many principals have encouraged me to apply. My mentor and boss encouraged me to apply and she was a principal for a long time. My current job is somewhat highly political so I have learned how to navigate political landmines and also solve complex parent complaints and other issues. I know that I will need to be coached on the operational aspect of being a school site leader but I also think that I come with a wealth of leadership experience that new school leaders don't have when they start. 

I started this blog so that I can document my journey, especially that it's been an unconventional pathway. I am making a huge shift in my life and I want to document it all. One day I want to look back on this blog and be proud of how much I have grown. Through the entire interview process I feel that I stayed true to myself and my values and I want to continue to honor my values once I start as a school principal. Hopefully whatever info I put out into the world might also help one person in some way also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

D is for Disappointment

Before I became a school principal, I was a coach and worked as a manager at the district office level for quite a bit of time. I was partly...